“Spring into wellness” – 7 tips for promoting a healthy spring!
Believe it or not it’s already the month of April and now is the time to get moving! As we transition seasons, please find below seven helpful hints to “spring into wellness”!
- Wake early to exercise – The mornings are warming up and spring means the sun rises earlier each day. Take advantage of this. Get out and exercise before starting your day. Whether it’s going for a run or walking the dog. Exercising before work will begin your day on a high note.
- Revitalize your daily fruits and vegetable – Spring is a great season to add new fruits and vegetables. These fruits and vegetables are “in season” during the spring: (fruits) cherries, raspberries, nectarines, plums, pluots, and rhubarb; (vegetables) artichoke, cucumbers, peas, peppers, squash, and tomatoes. The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends 4.5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Say “yes” to a healthy breakfast – Partner your morning exercise routine with a healthy breakfast. What a great start to the day! Instead of a coffee and breakfast sandwich how about a glass of OJ and a grapefruit?
- Water with a squeeze of lemon – How often do you drink 64 ounces of water each day? Try a squeeze of lemon to your water to add a bit of zest. For your body to perform at a high level, it’s essential to stay hydrated. A glass of water can be a great appetite suppressant and can help maintain a healthy weight.
- Proper sleeping habits help maintain a healthy weight – Strive to sleep 6-8 hrs each night. Staying up late has specifically been shown to increase the likelihood of overeating. Achieving proper rest will help reduce the opportunity to make bad diet decisions.
- Schedule screenings and doctor’s appointments – Before starting an exercise routine it’s always recommended to check with your primary care physician. Any allergy medications need to be refilled before heading outside?
- Update your workout attire – Proper foot wear can help support an active lifestyle. New lightweight clothing can help you feel comfortable when exercising outside. Be sure you are properly equipped before starting a new workout routine.