Spring into wellness – 7 tips for promoting a healthy spring
Believe it or not it’s already the month of April. Did you have any New Year’s Resolutions? Were you successful? As we transition seasons, please find below 7 helpful hints to “spring into wellness”
- Wake early to exercise – Gone are the cool mornings. And with daylight savings time in effect the sun rises earlier each day. Take advantage of this. Get outside and start your day with some exercise, whether it’s going for a run or walking the dog. Exercising before work can kick off your day on a high note.
- Say yes to a healthy breakfast – Partner your morning exercise routine with a healthy breakfast. What a great start to the day! Instead of a coffee and breakfast sandwich how about a glass of OJ and a grapefruit? The USDA recommends 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Starting your day with fruits will help you to consistently reach this daily threshold.
- Water with a squeeze of lemon – How often do you drink 64 ozs of water each day? Try adding a squeeze of lemon to your water. Proper hydration is essential for your body to perform at a high level. Plus, water is a great appetite suppressant and can help you to maintain a healthy weight.
- Proper sleeping habits help maintain a healthy weight – Strive to sleep 6-8 hrs each night. Staying up late has specifically been shown to increase the likelihood of overeating. Achieving proper rest will also help you to make better decisions by being more alert.
- The rule of twos – Too much alcohol can sap your energy. The rule of twos is this: two alcoholic drinks a day is plenty. Have two ‘miss a drink’ days a week. Calories consumed while drinking alcohol are considered an “empty calorie” as they contain no nutritional value.
- Schedule screenings and doctor’s appointments – Before starting an exercise routine it’s always recommended to touch base with your primary care physician. Do you have any allergy medications that need to be refilled before heading outside?
- Update your workout attire – Proper foot wear can help support an active lifestyle. New lightweight clothing can help you feel comfortable when exercising outside. If your workout gear needs to be updated stop at a sporting goods store and get properly equipped before starting a new workout routine.